LOCATION: Baton Rouge
REPORTS TO: Various
LAST REVISED: February 2020
This position is a multi-craft position with emphasis on Electrical work and is primarily responsible for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing and demolishing (as needed) control valves, field instrumentation, Distributed Controls Systems (DCS) related equipment, wires, relays installing, maintaining, repairing and demolishing (as needed) electrical wire, conduit, switches, circuit breakers, motor control centers, motors, relays and other electrical apparatus in accordance with relevant codes. The successful candidate will be required to work, independently or in partnership with other staff members, on general mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and utility operation tasks. An on the job and off-site training program will be available to support these required activities. Proficient in 480v power and control systems. Knowledge with VFDs is a plus.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Electrical Technician is responsible for fabricating, installing, maintaining and demolishing (as needed) conduit, wiring, control valves, field instruments and all other typical chemical plant instruments and associated equipment.
- The Electrical Technician must work independently or in partnership with other staff members, on general mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and utility operation tasks.
- His/her responsibilities include, monitoring the operation of the equipment and systems through preventive and predictive activities including gathering and recording related data and anything else associated with providing reliable equipment and facilities for the manufacture of product. This includes daily and weekly housekeeping chores such as picking up, washing, wiping, sweeping and shoveling. Communicate with injured employee and accompany the employee to initial and follow-up medical treatment to ensure that employee is taken care of and the physician understands employee’s duties and explanation of our light duty policy.
- Assist in pre-job/shutdown planning when possible with the Operations Manager.
- Make personal contact with the working crews to build relationships, address concerns and identify improvement opportunities.
- Attend customer sponsored / mandated safety meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Routine: Ability to assist operations with solving problems in a compliant manner when issues arise.
- Difficult: Some issues may require specialized knowledge of regulations to be able to assist operations and may require consulting with management before proceeding.
The Electrical Technician must be physically able to perform work such as moving conduit and other equipment, dismantling, rigging, lifting, etc., up to 50 pounds, and other tasks typical of a maintenance Electrical Technician. He/she must have the mental dexterity necessary to accomplish a multitude of tasks safely and effectively. The Electrical Technician must be able to recognize unusual conditions, reason out the cause and use good judgment in being able to deal with them safely.
Electrical Technician must be able to learn new skills and to use all their skills with a minimum of supervision and mistakes. Mistakes can result in serious losses or injury to themselves and others or damage to the facilities and equipment. The Electrical Technician is responsible for equipment (and the subsequent manufacture of product) and facilities valued in the millions of dollars. Thus, reliable and conscientious people are required for the Instrument/Electrical Technician position.
- Current OSHA 500
- HAZWOPER certification
- OSHA 510 or 511
- Safety Related Certification (Examples CHST, CET, STS, STSC, OHST, SMS, etc)
- Confined Space Qualified
- Aerial Lift Qualified
- Forklift Qualified
- Rigging & Signal Qualified
- Fall Protection Qualified
- NFPA 70-E Qualified
- High Angle/Confined Space Rescue experience
- EMT Experience or previous qualification
- First Aid & CPR certified
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Process safety management experience
- Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required. AAS degree, trade school certificate or certified apprenticeship is preferred
- Basic computer skills
- Must pass a drug test
- English fluency - must be able to read, write and clearly communicate in English
- 7+ years in construction or maintenance in an industrial setting
- 5+ years experience as Electrical technician
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions:
- Stand & walk 8 hours per day
- Climb 5 flights of steps without stopping
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, climb, bend, twist, stand and reach repetitively, operate moving equipment and work in hot/cold/damp/cramped environments
- Wear a respirator for an hour
- Test negative on the company’s drug tests
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.